misscasa14

Best answers
Reaching out to oncology practices, we recently had a professional audit team come in to audit our records they stated diagnoses must be coded off of progress notes only, however in the past we have used pathology reports to confirm diagnoses. Can anyone else give us direction as to how you handle this situation, in particular when financial counselors are trying to establish authorizations for chemotherapy

I have been coding in oncology practice for almost 2 years now and I have been coding dx based on progress notes but was told by our auditor that I have to code dx based on pathology reports. So I guess it depends on the company you work with? What I did, was code from the progress and confirm it from the pathology report. So far, I didn't have any problems. We'll see when I get audited again.

Reaching out to oncology practices, we recently had a professional audit team come in to audit our records they stated diagnoses must be coded off of progress notes only, however in the past we have used pathology reports to confirm diagnoses. Can anyone else give us direction as to how you handle this situation, in particular when financial counselors are trying to establish authorizations for chemotherapy