Wiki Op out of Medicare

rebecca lopez

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
A provider asked if they op out of Medicare , they will be opening a direct primary care clinic, the question to me was there any special codes that they needed to bill.

I directed the provider to the Noridian site , and I also reviewed the site for OPT out provider , but i did not see any special codes to bill.

Is there any one that knows the pros and cons of Op out of Medicare?
you can send emails to Rebecca.lopez@pihhealth.org or just respond here
Thank you all for your time and advice

oh for got does anybody know of Kathy Montoya , is she still involved with coding she was a rep for Medicare and educate at some chapter meetings

There are no special codes for opting out, because no one is billing medicare. But there ARE specific things you must do with each patient, including entering into a private contract with each one every two years, where you both acknowledge that no one, including the patient, will be able to bill Medicare for services. More info: https://aapsonline.org/opting-out-of-medicare-a-guide-for-physicians/

What does it mean to opt out of Medicare?

You don’t want to bill Medicare for your services, but instead want your Medicare patients to pay out of pocket.

Medicare coverage would apply when you order or certify items and services.

If you choose to opt out of Medicare, you will not be able to bill for Medicare Advantage. Additionally, your decision will be made public on the CMS Opt-Out Dataset.

To opt out, you will need to:
  • Be of an eligible type or specialty.
  • Submit an opt-out affidavit to Medicare.
  • Enter into a private contract with each of your Medicare patients. This contract will reflect the agreement between you and your patients that they will pay out of pocket for services, and that nobody will submit the bill to Medicare for reimbursement.
Contact your Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) (PDF) to see what information you should include in your opt-out affidavit and private contract.

1603399851552.png