Wiki Op-Report (Hip)

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
Operation: Left Proximal Femur Resection with Implantation of Antibiotic Cement Spacer

Indications:
For the purposes of clearing the infection and for the purpose of staged planning for possible future Total Hip arthroplasty, the patient elected to proceed with resection of proximal femur and implantation of an antibiotic-impregnated spacer.

Procedure:
Scar tissue was identified and dissected off it's insertion into the greater trochanter.

Dissection was carried distally until the lesser trochanter was palpable and visualized. The hip was brought into further internal rotation; the hip capsule was dissected from the proximal femur. the hip was then dislocated. A sagittal saw was then used to make a neck cut on the proximal femur. the head and neck were then removed from the wound.

Our attention was turned to the acetabulum. Soft tissue was dissected from within and around the acetabulum. Next, using a series of suceesfully larger reamers, the acetabulum was reamed to create space for our cement spacer. This cement spacer was implanted into the femur. It was held in position as the cement cured.

the hip and cement spacer placed were then reduced.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Maybe 27071 + spacer? Not sure.

Last edited:
I could also be wrong but I looked at 11981 since it is impregnated with antiobitic and it is non-biodegradable and has to be removed later. I might also look at one of the osteotomy codes 27161, although your doc does not state how he fixated the area after removing head and neck, other than with spacer and cement.

yes on 11981 (spacer) but I was thinking 27071 because of septic necrosis. Not 100% sure but any help goes along way. Thanks.