Wiki open breast wound

garmab06

Networker
Best answers
Hi needing your assistance coding open breast wound and placement of wound vac negative pressure

OPEN WOUND OF LEFT BREAST NON HEALING SURGICAL WOUND

Procedure Name:
1. Debridement of bilateral mastectomy incision
2. Placement of bilateral wound Vac negative pressure system
Drains:
Wound Vac x 2
Specimens:

Left mastectomy scar, right mastectomy scar
female who is s/p bilateral mastectomy. Her post-op course has been complicated by delayed wound healing. She is brought to the OR today for the above mentioned procedure. She understands the risks and benefits and agrees to proceed

DETAILS OF OPERATION

The patient was marked in the preoperative holding area and consents were confirmed. The patient was brought back to the operating room and placed on the operating table in supine position. She was placed under general anesthesia without any difficulties. She was given Ancef prior to our incision. Her bilateral chest wall was prepped and draped in sterile fashion. I started with the left chest wall. There was already a small opening laterally that tracked medially. A elliptical incision that incorporated the opening was made with a scalpel. The skin was removed and sent to pathology. The cavity measured 11 x 6 cm. The underlying tissue was scored with a Bovie. Hemostasis was achieved with electrocautery.
I then turned my attention to the right chest wall. The medial aspect of this incision was slightly opened with fibrinous material at the base. I debrided the fibrinous material. After the tissue was debrided, I had entered into the prior mastectomy cavity and it was noted that the right mastectomy flap had also not adhered to the chest wall. Seroma fluid was aspirated and the cavity was irrigated. I extended the opening and removed an ellipse of skin. The underlying cavity measured 15 x 7 cm. I then scored the cavity with the Bovie. The incisions were cleaned. A wound vac negative pressure system with black sponge was placed into both cavities and connected to the suction cannister without difficulties. The patient tolerated the procedure without any difficulties. She was extubated in the operating room and transferred to the PACU in stable condition.