Wiki OPEN REMOVAL OF CALCIFIC TENDONITIS HIP

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
Would this be CPT 27062? DESCRIPTION...dissection was carried down to the subcutaneous tissue. The IT band was identified and sharply incised, after which retractors were then placed. The calcific tendonitis was visualized and removed. There was noted to be also a hypertrophic area of the greater trochanter which was debrided as well.
Thanks,

Hi,

I did some asking around, and I was able to get one of my experts to answer this question. Please use this information as a guide only and check with your payer before following this advice. Thanks!
Chris Boucher, MS, CPC
Senior Development Editor

"It's hard to tell 100% of all the details with just that clip of the op note, but it does look like that would meet code 27062's requirements. You're not supposed to assume, but assuming the physician is describing heterotrophic ossification when they state "hypertrophic area", I would also bill for the heterotrophic ossification of the greater trochanter if that's what they're referring to. There is no specific code for this procedure so you'll have to use an unlisted code 27299 and I would compare it to code 27066. When excising bone cyst (osteophytes),exostosis or ossification you should always use the corresponding anatomical code with "bone cyst" as there is no specific code for this either."

Last edited: