Wiki Opinions, please, on how to proceed.

Best answers
Hi,

I have 14 years of ER coding experience on the profee side. Within that time frame, I have 6 years of ER facility experience. I have worked in the office and remotely. I am not an all around outpatient coder, I have some OP experience. A little bit of auditing experience. CPC only. I have been out of work for 3 years due to taking care of someone. The last 3 jobs resulted in unemployment respectively due to downsizing, outsourcing and the COVID pandemic. It makes me apprehensive to step back into coding, even on a part time basis. I do not relish the boat possibly capsizing again. My productivity, accuracy, reviews and audits have always been positive. I am now on disability and am limited in how much income I can earn per month. I will not be able to go back to working full time.

1. Will employers be receptive to someone that has been out of the coding arena for the last 3 years? I know I will need to study intensively to get caught up on the latest procedures, coding rules etc.
2. I believe my chances of being hired will be better if I gain additional certification. CEDC is obvious. What else do you suggest?
3. Will employers hire on a part time basis and be willing to stay under the income requirement?
4. Should I include the unemployment time periods on the resume which forces it into 2 pages?
5. How do I capture my experience on one page? I have had issues in the past with potential employers not liking that my experience was not laid out in the functional format resume but to do a chronological resume with detailed duties would be 2 to 3 pages long minimum.
6. In the past, I have had a hard time trying to get around the requirement that a facility based coder must have the CCS. I have found that while ED facility coding is different, it is not hard to do both facility and profee at the same time. Nor, is it overly difficult to work in multiple chart types and in different programs at the same time. And, working with respective client profiles. It is challenging but it does take a certain knack of organization and intense focus. How can I demonstrate or explain this to a potential employer?
6. Should I go for it? Or, I really do not want to do this after all of the hard work over the years, let my coding certification go?

I know this is a lot to ask. I will appreciate any insight that you have to offer. I'm currently working on my resume and trying to figure out what to do going forth.

Thank you!

So much of this is employer specific. I don't discount an employee who has been out of work if there is an explanation.
1) Depends on employer. Regardless, make sure your skills are fresh and sharp.
2) Depends on employer and the position you are applying for.
3) Depends on employer. Say a job title salary range is $30-$35 per hour, they cannot hire you under $30/hr.
4) I find 2 page resumes acceptable as long as it does not look like someone used giant fonts or unnecessary information. I suggest either in your objective or a cover letter to very simply address your unemployment. Like: Experienced profee and facility ER coder excited to return to coding work following family issues. Just a few words that explain a gap. Expect a question or 2 about the gap in an interview.
5) Same as above. Keep it to 2 pages. Adjust margins/fonts/spacing if needed.
6) Of course!!! If you enjoy coding, why would you not want to try to resume doing so?
Good luck!

So much of this is employer specific. I don't discount an employee who has been out of work if there is an explanation.
1) Depends on employer. Regardless, make sure your skills are fresh and sharp.
2) Depends on employer and the position you are applying for.
3) Depends on employer. Say a job title salary range is $30-$35 per hour, they cannot hire you under $30/hr.
4) I find 2 page resumes acceptable as long as it does not look like someone used giant fonts or unnecessary information. I suggest either in your objective or a cover letter to very simply address your unemployment. Like: Experienced profee and facility ER coder excited to return to coding work following family issues. Just a few words that explain a gap. Expect a question or 2 about the gap in an interview.
5) Same as above. Keep it to 2 pages. Adjust margins/fonts/spacing if needed.
6) Of course!!! If you enjoy coding, why would you not want to try to resume doing so?
Good luck!
Thank you for taking the time to respond! Truly appreciate the help!