Wiki Optemetry visits while in rehab

tmitchell

Contributor
Best answers
I have a provider who sees patients in a rehab facility and conducts eye exams at the request of the admitting MD. Often to see is there are any visional defects due to their condition, often TBI or stroke.
She does note her reason for referral, patients complaints, her exam, assessment and plan. She will then write a script for new lens as needed.

The rehab facility does have a room set up with all the necessary equipment to conduct an eye exam and refraction.

My questions will these visits qualify for 99305 (she's not the admitting MD) or would this best be coded as 92004. POS would then also have to be 31.

Any assistance and guidance will be greatly appreciated

Rehab billing

I have a colleague who does exclusive nursing home/rehab facility care. He has found that billing the 99204 code for the initial exam works best for his practice. Subsequent exams for the patient are billed using one of the 92xxx established patient ophthalmology codes.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC, COPC

Thank you for your assistance, I did not even think of an exam code vs an Ophthalmological exam. I will make these corrections.