Wiki Opthamology Heading

bella2

Guru
Best answers
Hi,
I work in an ASC, where we code quite a few difficult Opthamology cases,
I think it would be great if we had a Ophalmolgy heading.
Thanks,
Sandra

Opthalmology clinic

I also code ophthalmology but mostly clinic, although i will begin training to code surgery next week. I agree we need an eye forum. There are alot of question's i ask on here and have yet to recieve answer's.

I will agree with you guys. I would like to learn more. I work for the hospital . I always have problem with modifiers . I am not sure which one needs RT/LT/50 and TC

I already have that website but they wanted credit card information and you have to subscribe to it. I like the free stuff !! hehe !! Plus, my supervisor wouldn't approve a forum subscibtion just for me. We are a multi specialty group. Thanks anyways ... anyone else know of some forum that are free ?

ophthalmology forum

I agree gang we do need a forum for this specialty. I have been coding and billing ophthalmology surgeries for 7 years now and it would be very nice to have this.

Terri

Someone posted about an Oncology one and a few people responded and within a few days it was up. I guess the AAPC will see how many people agree. I also do Ophthalmology and had to have alot of my question's answered by the physician so i think an ophthalmology one would be great. All the other's i have found want to be charged and i work mutlti specialty so i can't pay for each one.

Since I am a member of the AAO-E I ask questions there but it would be great for me to ask all of my questions or answer questions from all the specialities I cover. Lets start this sucker up :)

I want a second opinion on this senario. A patient has an Aqueous Shunt surgery (66180) and is seen in clinic for post op visit. On po visit 3 the doctors finds the tube to be misplaced and advises the patient to follow up in clinc the next day. On that day they doctor decides to perform out patient surgery on the patient the following day. I coded this senario as followed

92014-24 dx 996.59
92014-24-57 dx 996.59

The surgery was coded using a -78. I was asked why did i attach a -24 to the visit and why did i attach both the the second. My reply was that the first visit was a complication to surgery, new problem with add work up. The second visit was to recheck and perform the add work up and on that day the decision for surgery was made. It is my understanding that both modifier's are needed to clarify the reason for the visit. She questioned why would that be an unrealted E/M visit during post op but the procedure would require a -78. Related surgery ?? Would anyone agree this was coded correct and i should be able to bill for both visits ?? I understand the patient was in post op but i should be able to bill any complications to surgery along with a -24.

^^^ In this scenerio I believe it would be included in the reimb. for the procedure thus an exam should not be charged. I do agree operating again on it would be a -78.

There is another post going on about billing complication visit's after surgery. According to CMS guidelines all complication's following surgery are included in the original procedure. You can only bill an E/M if a patient had to return to the OR so that is where i am debating this senario. Services Not Included in the Global Surgical Package - Treatment for postoperative complications which requires a return trip to the operating room (OR). An OR for this purpose is defined as a place of service specifically equipped and staffed for the sole purpose of performing procedures. The term includes a cardiac catheterization suite, a laser suite, and an endoscopy suite. It does not include a patient’s room, a minor treatment room, a recovery room, or an intensive care unit (unless the patient’s condition was so critical there would be insufficient time for transportation to an OR); So in my understanding i should be able to bill those visit's or at least the one before surgery since it determined at that visit to return the patient to the OR. I was just wondering that other's would say about this situation.

I admit this sounds tricky but to me I would advise my physicians that we should not charge for the exam code for numerous reasons but the most important being why was the tube misplaced?

Did you use a 66185 for revision on the return to the OR? If so I believe the exam code should be included in the revision.

Hope this helps.

I only code the clinic charges, our surgery coder does the actual surgery. Thanks for your help... but i do agree we need a heading also !!

Me too, help!

I too code ophthalmology, surgical and clinical. I find that many times I have to direct my questions to the AAO websites. I have contacted the AAPC to request specialty coding for ophthalmology. The more people who ask the better I'm sure.

I already have that website but they wanted credit card information and you have to subscribe to it. I like the free stuff !! hehe !! Plus, my supervisor wouldn't approve a forum subscibtion just for me. We are a multi specialty group. Thanks anyways ... anyone else know of some forum that are free ?

I subscribed to it myself and did not have to submit any credit card information. It was free for 6 months...choose that option.

I too code ophthalmology, surgical and clinical. I find that many times I have to direct my questions to the AAO websites. I have contacted the AAPC to request specialty coding for ophthalmology. The more people who ask the better I'm sure.

We have a ophthalmology subforum NOW. :D All the previous posts about ophthalmology have been moved here too.