Wiki Oral sedation

njbrown

Networker
Best answers
We are considering using oral sedation in the office for ABR’s on young children. Can you give me some information on the codes that might be involved for the drug administration, monitoring and etc. Thanks!

Hello there, I'm assuming you mean conscious/moderate sedation as defined by the ASA, rather than deeper sedation.
Moderate Sedation/Analgesia (“Conscious Sedation”) is a drug-induced depression of consciousness during which patients respond purposefully** to verbal commands, either alone or accompanied by light tactile stimulation. No interventions are required to maintain a patent airway, and spontaneous ventilation is adequate. Cardiovascular function is usually maintained.

If so, start by reading the CPT guidelines for moderate sedation codes 99151-99157. This includes a section in the Anesthesia Guidelines that explains who can perform and bill the service based on whether the procedure is performed in a non-facility or facility setting. Basically, in a non-facility setting the physician/QHP who performs the service also has to perform the moderate sedation and

If the physician or other qualified health care professional who provides the sedation services also performs the procedure supported by sedation (99151, 99152, 99153), the physician or other qualified health care professional will supervise and direct an independent trained observer who will assist in monitoring the patient's level of consciousness and physiological status throughout the procedure.

Hello there, I'm assuming you mean conscious/moderate sedation as defined by the ASA, rather than deeper sedation.

If so, start by reading the CPT guidelines for moderate sedation codes 99151-99157. This includes a section in the Anesthesia Guidelines that explains who can perform and bill the service based on whether the procedure is performed in a non-facility or facility setting. Basically, in a non-facility setting the physician/QHP who performs the service also has to perform the moderate sedation and
Thank you for your help