Wiki Organizing resources for coders

edenardo

New
Best answers
Hello! I work for a local hospital, which used to be a hybrid of remote and on-site employees. We are now fully remote. One of my jobs is to keep our resources updated. We utilize a shared drive for notes, tips, cheat sheets, etc. The problem is keeping it organized and clear. Right now its very overwhelming. Im wondering what your company uses to keep and manage resources. A shared drive? OneNote? Employee binders? And then, when you need to communicate changes or major updates how do you do so without overwhelming employees? Any tips would be great! Thank you!

I personally am a big fan of some type of shared drive. This way the resource is there for anyone who needs it regardless of location. It can be updated real time so no one is ever using outdated references.
If changes are made, I would say depending on how drastic and important, it is likely a good idea to send an email or IM message update.
Example: Let's say one of your references is a common ICD10 list. If October 2022, several of those codes change, you should make everyone aware of the new document.
I'm a very small department with a mix of hybrid, onsite and fully remote staff. Any reference I have, there is a small date in the bottom right corner, so even I know if I'm using my own most up to date printed reference.
I personally only print stuff I use daily (or at least weekly). If it's something I only refer to once a month, I simply pull up the online document.

I have used OneNote in the past and am currently implementing it for my Coding and Precert teams. We also have a Shared drive and I simply use it as a storage portal. I create a link to the document in OneNote to make it easy for them to find. The ability to insert printouts, web links, etc makes it so easy to organize and, being a Shared Notebook, it can be accessed by multiple users at once. I create a OneNote folder on the Shared drive and save the Notebook there then send out a link to the relevant staff members.

I make sure to keep the History and Recycle Bin turned on for the Notebook so that if something is accidentally deleted, it can usually be recovered. I have a profound dislike of hard copy binders as a team reference because it's such a nuisance to keep them up to date. OneNote allows me to update in one place; if I have a team member who prefers paper, they're welcome to print their most frequently used resources.

Updates are communicated via internal email and I can then cross-link if needed to the page in OneNote or embed a copy of the email update on that page or in that section, as appropriate.

I'm working with the leads of a couple of other teams to create an Insurance Reference Guide in OneNote that will be rolled out company wide, specifically so we can move away from paper updates since no one seems to have the same information, regardless of how many updates are sent out.

I think this can be solved by arranging documents alphabetically, locking documents that you do not want someone to accidently edit, and putting everything into relevant folders. This can help to keep the ShareDrive clean and organized. Using key words in the document titles is important as well, because when someone may be searching for a certain document in the search bar, the keyword that they're most likely looking for will show documents with this word. Example: Document is called Square Street Provider Contacts, the employee may search 'square' or 'provider contact' or 'square street.' Hope this helps!