Wiki Orlando Illness Investigation

Vicki

Best answers
I attended the Healthcon Conference last week and yesterday I received an email from the Florida Health Department stating that members attending the conference became ill and they are looking into what happened.

Will AAPC be making a statement so we know what happened?

It is legitimate. I received one as well. There were a number of attendees who became very ill during the first days of the conference. I believe these surveys going to help learn what may have caused so many to become sick. Even if you did not get sick, please fill out the survey so that there can be a solid investigation of a common incidence with everyone who was affected. Thanks!

Conference Illness

I attended the conference with a co-worker and on Tuesday we became deathly ill. I hope we do find out what happened as Tuesday and Wednesday we couldn't make some of the events. It was not pleasant and more so, downright painful.

Conference Illness

I also received an email and called the AAPC this morning to verify if it was legitimate or a scam. They indicated it was legitimate. I suggested the AAPC send out an email to let the attendees know this is a legitimate email and to complete the survey.

To all the attendees that got sick at conference, hope you are all feeling better.

It was definitely legit. My boss and I were out of commission Monday of the conference and wouldn't wish it on anyone else. Hopefully they find the source so nobody else is getting sick.

Donna H. Asst. Billing/Coding Manager

I too received the e-mail. I called the gentleman from the Florida Department of Health in Orange County, FL. I also wanted to make sure it was legitimate. He stated that it is very important for everyone who gets the e-mail to respond even if you did not get sick. It is an ongoing investigation so they need everyone to respond so they can try to determine the cause.

I was one of the lucky ones that did not get sick, but several of my friends did and at different times, so please fill out even if you didn't get sick. I filled mine out.

So I stayed at riverside, and on the way back to the airport I sat in front of a family of 4 who was suffering from a gastrointestinal illness and not part of the conference. I think this was spread way beyond conference attendees. When I filled out my survey I added that in my comments. I did not get sick till I arrived home on Wednesday over night.

Orlando Illness

It is indeed legitimate. I came down with pretty severe stomach and abdominal cramps, muscle aches, and diarrhea, which has lasted now about ten days. I emailed the Florida Department of Health (replied to the survey) asking if I should be concerned and see a doctor. He replied quickly to let me know that they suspect Norovirus, but haven't been able to pinpoint exactly where it came from.

If you are sick, he recommends seeing a doctor and having a stool sample obtained (to help with the investigation). Most often it will pass on its own within two weeks.

I hope all are feeling better.

Karen Scott, CPC, CPC-I

It is important that everyone respond to the inquiry so we have as complete a picture as possible of individuals who may have experienced similar episodes. Otherwise, the conference was an overwhelming success. Kudos to AAPC conference staff.

Conference Sickness/Survey

AAPC what is your stand and comment on this outbreak? As a member and attendee I would like to know what is known to date: I also attended the conference and I also became ill upon my return home (was sick Friday night 4/15 and most of the day Saturday 4/16). Seems to have resolved on its own.