Wiki Orthotics/When to Bill

Best answers
I've read thru all the posts in the podiatry forum regarding orthotics and I see that it is just as conflicted as we are in the office. We're still trying to determine if we should be billing for the orthotics on the day that they are cast or on the day that they are dispensed. We currently bill on the day that they are dispensed (we were told it was Illinois law to do it this way) but have had more than one occasion where the orthotics were never picked up. So my questions are, 1) Is it okay to bill for orthotics (in Illinois) on the day that the orthotics are cast? (I'm not talking about Medicare since they don't cover orthotics anyways) 2) What do you do to recoup costs if orthotics are not picked up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks you!

I've read thru all the posts in the podiatry forum regarding orthotics and I see that it is just as conflicted as we are in the office. We're still trying to determine if we should be billing for the orthotics on the day that they are cast or on the day that they are dispensed. We currently bill on the day that they are dispensed (we were told it was Illinois law to do it this way) but have had more than one occasion where the orthotics were never picked up. So my questions are, 1) Is it okay to bill for orthotics (in Illinois) on the day that the orthotics are cast? (I'm not talking about Medicare since they don't cover orthotics anyways) 2) What do you do to recoup costs if orthotics are not picked up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks you!

We bill it on the day they are dispensed.

Armen, thank you for your quick response. What do you do if they don't ever come back to pick up the orthotics?

Thanks,
Nancy

Armen, thank you for your quick response. What do you do if they don't ever come back to pick up the orthotics?

Thanks,
Nancy

We used to eat the cost for some of them, but recently we start collecting the money up front so they dont just call and say they dont need it anymore.