Wiki Osteopathic Manipulation Denials

jmeberst314@gmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
My OMT claims have been denying with reason "number of spinal/body regions within dx submitted does not correlate to the number of regions described in the procedure". My question is directed towards 98927-98929 specifically, between these codes there are 5-10 regions that can be treated. And in order to correlate the diagnosis (739.0-739.9) you would need a dx for each region, but if 7 regions were treated how do you code all seven dx's with only four dx's lines available for assignment?

manipulations - OMT

Unfortunately, I believe you'll have to go to multiple pages -- which may mean hard copy claim submission. You may also want to consider pre-authorizing the service with your regional dx.

I double checked back through 1997 in the Pink Sheets to see if there was anything here that could help you.....nada.

Again, I think pre-auth specifics would help.

Good luck,
Mary

Mary,
Thank you for responding, I will have to look into the preauthorization as the manipulations generally aren't the reason for the visits so it would be kind of hard to get them pre-authorized. I guess for now I'll have to just assign the codes and do multiple page claims and if that doesn't work submit copies of the medical records. Thanks again!

Jessica

My OMT claims have been denying with reason "number of spinal/body regions within dx submitted does not correlate to the number of regions described in the procedure". My question is directed towards 98927-98929 specifically, between these codes there are 5-10 regions that can be treated. And in order to correlate the diagnosis (739.0-739.9) you would need a dx for each region, but if 7 regions were treated how do you code all seven dx's with only four dx's lines available for assignment?

The 5010 electronic transaction gives you 12 dx codes spots to use.