Wiki Osteoporosis and Fracture guidelines

daedolos

Expert
Best answers
EXAMPLE: Patient fell and broke right wrist. Patient has osteoporosis.

How would I code this? DO I code for the M osteopathic fracture as well as the S injury code for fracture?

Peace
@_*

Since the patient "fell," this would be a Traumatic Fracture, i.e. requiring an S Code from the S52.5 _ _ _ +/- S52.6 _ _ _ Code Sets, depending on the extent/severity of the fracture. The fact that the patient has Osteoporosis is not relevant to the fact that she fell. If she has "documented" Osteoporosis, it could be listed as a complementary/supplemental code from the M81 Code Set, which is the Code Set for the Disease of Osteoporosis. External Cause Codes may or may not be required by her insurance/payer.

I refer you to icd10orthocoder.com where you can review the Blog on Fractures of the Forearm and Wrist, and External Cause Coding if required.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com

you can use the S code for the fracture and the M code for the osteoporosis without pathologic fracture.
However if it is by chance documented that the fall was minor and would not have fractured a healthy bone then follow coding guidelines that state:
A code from category M80, not a traumatic fracture code, should be used for any patient with known osteoporosis who suffers a fracture, even if the patient had a minor fall or trauma, if that fall or trauma would not usually break a normal, healthy bone.