Wiki Othovisc Injections for Shoulder

cwilson3333

Expert
Best answers
The doctor wants to start giving Orthovisc injections to shoulder patient on same day as surgery at Hospital.
Can these injections be given at the Hospital. They have always been done in the office.
We buy and bill the Orthovisc and of course charge for the injection [20610], which I imagine
I will need to add a modifier so it does not get denied or included in the surgical fee.

If anyone "out there" has billed these injections at the Hospital during a surgical procedure, would like to know
if they have had any problems with the billing.

Thank you
CW

Insurance preauthorization.

I have never been able to get an Orthovisc to approve for a shoulder. I’d be curious what insurance you are billing under? Does this patients particular insurance plan allow B/B as you stated above instead of having to order from speciality pharmacy? I have found that insurance companies have been really cut back on what they have been allowing with visco supplementations.

OrthoVisc shoulder injections are still deemed as experimental/investigational by almost all insurance carriers. We have never obtained approval for shoulder injections either. We typically only do Orthovisc injections in the knees in the practice I work at.