Wiki Out of state telehealth visits

Best answers
(Posting this in the Billing Forum as well, just in case) Does anyone have any information regarding telehealth visits for out of state patients? At AuditCon, my co-worker heard in a webinar that providers cannot bill for telehealth services to out of state patients unless the provider is credentialed in that state. Is that true? I looked here: and here: but there aren't any specifics about being able to bill an encounter if a provider is not credentialed in a specific state. Does anyone have any resources on this issue?
I'm asking now because we came across a claim where the provider is in Arkansas providing telehealth services to someone in New York (they are away at college) but the provider is not licensed in NY. Per the AuditCon track my co-worker attended (Auditing Telemedicine and Telehealth), this would not be billable. In order to support this with my bosses, I need resources but I don't know where to acquire them. Please help!

I believe that the presenter was presenting the telehealth information as it would apply once the public health emergency is over. The federal waivers and most state waivers are still in place for now that allow telehealth visits to be conducted across state lines. I would double check that the state where the patient is located is still allowing this practice during the PHE. I did look at the first link you referenced and clicked on the link for the "US States and Territories Modifying Requirements for Telehealth in Response to COVID-19" site. When you look at New York, it appears as though the state waivers are still active and they allow physicians licensed and in current good standing in any state to practice medicine in New York State.

Last edited: