Wiki Out Patient Hp Pre Op

Best answers
how would you bill a outpatient hp pre op to medicare we are using 99242-56does anyone have any info on how this should be coded?

If your provider is not performing the surgery, then you would code the v72.8x with any condition found during exam with a regular office visit 992XX-56. Is it a pre-op consult by a speciality provider? Does he give a recommendation? Is the consulting provider noted in the documentation? If not, then the E&M would be a 9921X for established patient or 9920X for established patients.

Are you the surgeon?

If you are the surgeon then you should not be separately coding a pre-op H&P visit, even if it's done in the office a few days in advance.

If you are the Primary doctor and have been asked by the surgeon for a consultation (for a specific reason ...example: diabetic patient who is scheduled for knee replacement), then you can code the appropriate level consult. No need to append the -56 modifier.

If you are the primary doctor and the surgeon is just dropping this hospital requirement in your lap, then I'd ask the surgeon to complete a request for a consult. If there's no medical condition that warrants a consult, I'd explain that I can't possibly provide this as there is no medical necessity for my seeing the patient. This is the surgeon's / admitting physician's responsibiliy.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M