Wiki overthinking thumb dislocation

PLAIDMAN

Best answers
I am confused with the thumb dislocation codes....there is no distal IPJ of the thumb correct ? I can only find 2 joints in the thumb

S63.114A - dislocation MPJ thumb

S63.134A - dislocation proximal IPJ thumb

S63.144A - dislocation distal IPJ thumb ??

did I miss some evolution.....I would have thought it possible they counted the carpal/metacarpal as a thumb joint....but the codes say IPJ

can someone un-confuse me please ?

Last edited:
Try these codes

Look up s68-.011 for complete rt thumb amputation depending on notes
Look up s68.021 for partial rt thumb amputation depending on notes

Amputation..finger..Thumb --states to see amputation, traumatic thumb takes you to Codes S68.01 and S68.02

Try these and see what happens

Hope this helps you

SORRY..I thought you needed amputation codes..I was trying to answer someone else..But my answer to you would be to read the notes to see where the dislocation is located..if the MPJ of the thumb.. then S63.114A would be correct..If proximal or distal used the respected codes. I code for Orthopedics so that is why I chimed in.......

Last edited:
Dislocations of thumb joints

The Thumb (and the Big Toe) has only 2 phalanges, the proximal and distal; and consequently there are only 2 joints, the Metacarpophalangeal (MP) Joint between the 1st metacarpal and the proximal phalanx, and the Interphalangeal (IP) Joint between the proximal and distal phalanges. Therefore, the S63.11 _ _ is for subluxation or dislocation of the MP Joint, and S63.14 _ _ is for subluxation or dislocation of the IP Joint. (6th character is for laterality, and also differentiates subluxation from dislocation.)

This may seem like overkill, but hopefully will clarify it for you.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.

The Thumb (and the Big Toe) has only 2 phalanges, the proximal and distal; and consequently there are only 2 joints, the Metacarpophalangeal (MP) Joint between the 1st metacarpal and the proximal phalanx, and the Interphalangeal (IP) Joint between the proximal and distal phalanges. Therefore, the S63.11 _ _ is for subluxation or dislocation of the MP Joint, and S63.14 _ _ is for subluxation or dislocation of the IP Joint. (6th character is for laterality, and also differentiates subluxation from dislocation.)

This may seem like overkill, but hopefully will clarify it for you.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.

I am so sorry that I am a coder who is not specific...thanks for confirming the 2 joints in the thumb...i did think i was losing it for a minute

but..my point was.....THERE ARE I-10 CODES FOR 3 JOINTS IN THE THUMB for dislocation.....I guess we will just never be using the distal IPJ