Wiki PA and NEUROLOGIST IN SAME VISIT - INTERDISCIPLINARY VISIT

aosborne88

Contributor
Best answers
What CPT code would I use if my PA saw a patient with a Neurologist (from another practice) in the same visit. They correlated the patient's care during the visit.

My first question would be what specialty is your PA working under? It is possible that your PA working under 1 specialty just happened to see the patient at the same time as a neurologist (different specialty). If so, as long as both providers had a reason to see the patient, and each have completed documentation, there is no reason you should not bill for your PAs services. For example - your PA is working for the IM admitting physician, or ortho, or GI, etc. Then your PA had a reason to see the patient and provided care, so bill for it under your PA.
If your PA works for neurology and was helping out a neurologist in a different practice for some reason, then I would not consider that service medically necessary and would not bill for it.

As long as each bills for the individual work they personally performed, it would be no different than if the 2 providers of different specialties saw the same patient at different times the same day.
There are codes for interdisciplinary care, but that is typically for services provided WITHOUT the patient present (like tumor board, or some type of formal meeting, and require at least 30 minutes), which does not seem to be your situation here. They just happened to co-incidentally see the patient for 2 separate services at the same time. Don't forget to give credit for discussion of management when leveling the visit.