Wiki pa and physician signature on chart! HELP!

goldejoa

Best answers
All of the sudden I have a physician who is signing charts, in which the PA saw the patient, and he is writing " Case not presented and patient not examined". Is this okay? Can I go ahead and bill? At first I was very taken aback by this and said WHOAH!, but then thought that the physician just had to be present in the suite, or this case the ED. Please let me know what you think.

thanks

Physician is supervising PA

You bill under the PAs name for the service provided by the PA.
In Wisconsin we DO have to list the supervising MD on the claim as well as the PA as service provider. COuld your MD be signing simply to indicate that s/he's the supervising MD?

F Tessa Bartels

We have to bill both the PA and the MD. The MD has to be in a supervising capacity, so is it okay for him to include that statement on the chart and for me to bill with both the PA and the MD?

Thanks

Are you billing 2 separate claims, one for the PA and then one for the MD?

We have to bill both the PA and the MD. The MD has to be in a supervising capacity, so is it okay for him to include that statement on the chart and for me to bill with both the PA and the MD?

Thanks

My physicians and PA's are a group independent of the hospital, not employees of the hospital.

The services are being billed on one claim- so the rate for the physician is reduced.

If it is the hospital environment, it makes no difference if your providers work for the facility or not. There is no "incident to" in the typical hospital environment.

In other words, if you have an NP providing service to patients in an Oncology ward and the attending physician still co-signs the charts, it makes no difference; the service is still billed under the NP information.

Hope this helps some.