Wiki PA assisting surgeon

tsmith8

Contributor
Best answers
:eek:When a PA assists surgeon, instead of using modifier "AS", can we bill using the "80" modifier? Some codes will not accept the AS modifier.

:eek:When a PA assists surgeon, instead of using modifier "AS", can we bill using the "80" modifier? Some codes will not accept the AS modifier.

Some codes don't accept -AS? I know some carriers don't recognize the -AS modifier and for those insurances we use -80, but if a CPT doesn't allow -AS then it won't allow -80 either as far as I know. In Washington our Labor & Industries doesn't recognize -AS and so we bill our PA-C assists with -80 modifier to them.

Jenna

I was under the impression that the 80 modifier was for qualified physicians only, and if the assistant surgeon is a PA-C the AS modifier *has* to be used. Is this incorrect? Does it vary from state to state? Would love some insight, I've been fighting my ortho denials from medicaid for asst surgeons b/c they do not recognize the AS mod, but since these are for PA's I feel it is not appropriate to change the mod to 80?

Thanks,
Whitney CPC-A

Whitney, I totally agree with you in that CPT makes it clear how to bill those PA-C Assist claims....but Rebecca is correct in bringing up the written policy thing. If a carrier wants to create a written policy of how they want their claims then per our contract with that carrier we are complying with that written policy by billing it with -80.

Jenna