Wiki Pacemaker coding - codes were changed

Best answers
Since last year when the codes were changed to the 90-day period for billing, there has been alot of confusion in my area about how to account for the 90 day period and where or when it would start. I would like someone to varify if I have come to the correct conclusion. I understand that from the time of implant the 90-day period starts for the billing end of it. For the medical end of the pacemaker being checked the guidlines that were set years ago are still to be followed. So if a patient would have a pacemaker that is already aged for example 28 months, it would continue to be checked every 8 weeks. Not every 90 days. As the pacemaker ages up to 37 months it would be checked then every 4 weeks. and so on. The billing is the only thing that has changed to the 90 days. The code would be billed for the 90 day period but one time the patient may be two time during one 90-day period and other 90-day periods maybe the checks would number up to be 3 or 4. You only bill for one code--one unit. The guidelines for checking the pacemakers remain the same unchanged. Correct?

Post in Cardiology Forum

Sorry, not my area of expertise ... You might get a better, more qualified response if you posted this question in the Cardiology forum.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC