Wiki Pain Management Billing

Is there any way you can post a redacted note? Yes, this could definitely be bundled. If you could provide the note I would be able to be more specific. Sometimes all that is needed is the medical records being sent to insurance to prove that multiple injections were done for multiple diagnoses.

20553 is related to trigger point injection for pain control. Trigger points are tiny contraction knots that develop in a muscle when it is injured or overworked. The physician identifies the trigger points by palpating the muscle. The needle is advanced into the muscle and an anesthetic, steroid, or other therapeutic substance is injected. This is repeated until all trigger points on all involved muscles have been treated.

64450 is related to nerve/branch injections. An anesthetic agent is injected into a peripheral nerve or branch. This procedure may also be referred to as a peripheral nerve block. Generally, this is performed on peripheral nerves or branches in the arm or leg. The specific nerve or branch is identified. The skin over the planned puncture site is disinfected. The needle is inserted, aspirated to ensure it is not in a blood vessel, and the anesthetic is injected.

So to begin to answer your question the documentation would need to be reviewed to determine if the injection given was for trigger point injections or nerve/branch pain control.

Peripheral nerve block

When performing a peripheral nerve block for posterior tibial nerve 64450 and you also used a nerve stimulator, is there a code for the use of the nerve stimulator?

So funny I just left OB GYN and now coding other specialties and pain is one. Let me know if you find any good books on pain billing.