Wiki PAIN MANAGEMENT J3300 QUESTION

amowens854

Best answers
I have a question for the Pain Management Coders out there.
I came across an article about the code J3300 (Triamcinolone acetnide(Kenalog) PF) and reporting wastage.
I just wanted to make sure that I was doing it correct.

EXAMPLE
Note from chart

After obtaining informed written consent, the patient was taken to procedure room and placed in the prone position. The site of pain and procedure were confirmed with the patient. Routine monitors were applied. The L5-S1 interspace was identified under fluoroscopic guidance. The skin overlying the lumbar region was prepped and draped as a sterile field. Local anesthesia was obtained with 3cc of 1% Lidocaine PF. Using a 20-gauge Tuohy needle, the epidural space was identified with a loss-of-resistance technique. Aspiration was negative for CSF, blood, or other bodily fluids. Next, 1-5cc of Omnipaque 240mgI/mL was injected to confirm the epidural needle placement was negative for intrathecal injection. Then, Kenalog 80mg PF suspended in 1cc of 0.25% Bupivicaine PF was easily injected into the epidural space without apparent complication. The Tuohy needle was then cleared with 0.5cc of 1% Lidocaine PF and removed intact. The back was cleansed and sterile dressing applied. The patient was taken to the recovery room in satisfactory condition where the patient was observed and subsequently discharged home. There were no complications. The patient received post-procedure discharge instructions

Doctor is using a 5ML single dose vial 40mg/1ML
J3300-80units
J3300-120 units wasted

So J3300X80units
J3300X120 JW
Any input would be great! TIA

You also need to check what the conversion factor is for that drug. In our office we use Kenalog 40mg, J3301. It has a conversion factor of 4. So we only bill quantity 1 when 40mg is used. The modifier is correct though.