Wiki pain & muscle weakness due to a fracture

trichards139

Best answers
Can anyone tell me if a patient is being seen for acute pain due to a fracture and pain medication is being adjusted...would you code pain first then a fracture code? I was looking at G89.11 (acute pain due to trauma) and then the fx code such as S72.91A. (fx is not pathological) Also, would you code the muscle weakness if it was also due to the fracture?

Appreciate any input, thanks

Can anyone tell me if a patient is being seen for acute pain due to a fracture and pain medication is being adjusted...would you code pain first then a fracture code? I was looking at G89.11 (acute pain due to trauma) and then the fx code such as S72.91A. (fx is not pathological) Also, would you code the muscle weakness if it was also due to the fracture?

Appreciate any input, thanks

you will code the G89 code first for the pain and the fx code secondary, however you will not use the A as the 7th character it will be an S or a D depending on whether the fx itself has healed or if this is residual pain.

coding acute pain

Thank you so much! I did actually find good information in the 2017 ICD-10 coding guidelines under Pain - Category G89 that was very helpful.