Wiki Pap Smear - Screening Vs Diagnostic

Partha

Expert
Best answers
Is it possible to bill screening & diagnostic pap smear at the same time? Say something like...

G0124 -V76.2
-------------------
88141 - 795.01

screen vs diagnostic

I have always been told diagnostic overrides screen, so if you are doing a diagnostic, you would not do a screen.

diagnostic does not override screening.. If the purpose was for screening then the screening must go first-listed and findings are secondary. A visit cannot be ordered as both screening and diagnostic as that is inconsistent.

screen vs diagnostic

diagnostic does not override screening.. If the purpose was for screening then the screening must go first-listed and findings are secondary. A visit cannot be ordered as both screening and diagnostic as that is inconsistent.

So, I'm not incorrect in my statement as far as orders go? You wouldn't do a screen and a diagnostic on the same visit, but you would code the diagnosis as screen and findings?

quick catchup - what CPT codes screening vs diagnostic, our providers are billing G0124, G0144, 88141 to Medicare and getting G0124 & G0144 denied? Thanks!!!

So, I'm not incorrect in my statement as far as orders go? You wouldn't do a screen and a diagnostic on the same visit, but you would code the diagnosis as screen and findings?
Yes that is correct. A physician would not have the information at hand to order a diagnostic if the patient were healthy requesting screening. Even if diagnostics are performed at the same time as screening due to the screening findings, the first-listed dx is still screening.

pap smear

Okay, again, my understanding is the 8000 series is for laboratory use. Unless you are reading your own pap smears, you should not use those for collection and interpretation. The G0124 is for thin prep collection, automated, interpreation by physician. Is that what your doing? The Q0091 is for screen pap smear; obtaining, preparing and conveyance of cervical or vaginal smear to laboratory. (q 2 yr low risk, q yr high risk). G0123 is for thin prep screen by cytotech under physician supervision.

So, there's lots of ways to go here.

quick catchup - what CPT codes screening vs diagnostic, our providers are billing G0124, G0144, 88141 to Medicare and getting G0124 & G0144 denied? Thanks!!!
Is the G0124 and G0144 being denied due to coverage. And are billing for the physician or the pathologist?

We are running the test in our lab and our doctors are also doing the interpretation....