Wiki Pap Smears

Best answers
Hello-
We are having a difficult time with coding pap smears in the lab/specimen setting. We have a pap smear we want to code for billing that needs the dx code for pap (Z12.4) and they also got it screened for HPV (Z11.51) but the Z12.4 has an excludes 1 note and cannot be coded with Z11.51. So how do we code the pap smears that had HPV screening as well?

Thank you for the help.
-Chelsea

Hi,
You are billing both the 88142 along with the HPV test too right (8762x)?
I'll assign the Z12.4 for the screening pap 88142 - if ordered as a screen and there is nothing abnormal.
For the HPV (8762x) I'll provide the Z11.51 if lab results were normal and it was ordered as a screen.
Hopefully this will help,
Dana Chock, CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB

Edit states you can't code them together

What do we do when both are done and charged? Is one included in the other? Like Pap is included in the gynecological exam? The edit pops up stating you can't code Z12.4 and Z11.51 together. What are we supposed to use? Thanks!~

I don't code these; but, in reading the Excludes note for Z12.4: "excludes encounter for screening for HPV (Z11.51) when screening is part of general gyn exam (Z01.4-) ; so, could you use Z01.41-- plus the Z11.51?

TGIF:cool:

Megan

In a perfect world

I don't code these; but, in reading the Excludes note for Z12.4: "excludes encounter for screening for HPV (Z11.51) when screening is part of general gyn exam (Z01.4-) ; so, could you use Z01.41-- plus the Z11.51?

TGIF:cool:

Megan

I do understand this, but usually the only code the office gives us on the order is Z00.00 Adult General Exam. !? That will be what it says on the order. I hardly EVER see Z01.419 on my order EVER. I wish the offices would use the more specific codes. It's always Z00.00 and then all they did was a Pap and HPV. What am I supposed to do in this situation? I really need to know. I don't understand why this has to be so confusing. There's no reason it should be.

I code facility outpatient lab/x-ray/path, etc.