Wiki Paramedic Intercept Coding-Transportion Question

jtardiffb

New
Best answers
I am reaching to anyone that has experience in Ambulance Coding Questions. Any insight you can provide is appreciated.

CASE #1:

In this case the Basic Life Saving (BLS) ambulance is sent to the scene AND a separate Advanced Life Saving Unit (ALS) arrives with a paramedic and fellow EMT. In some cases, the separate ALS unit is not an Ambulance i.e. it is a SUV/Ford Explorer etc. that contains all of the IVs, medications etc. that the BLS cannot administer (a paramedic needs to administer).

The patient is being transported in the BLS Unit and the paramedic (from the hospital based ALS Unit) goes in the BLS ambulance to assist until they arrive at the hospital.
Question: It does not appear A0427 should be used, since they are not transporting the patient. Since the ALS Unit is not physically transporting the patient what code should the ALS unit be billing, i.e. S0208, A0432?

I saw a paramedic intercept A0432, but looks like it is only for rural areas involving volunteer companies. It seems that the ALS Unit should be billing for S0208 (hospital based) both units would be able to bill, but I just need to confirm what code the ALS should be billing under.

Case #2:

If an ALS Unit Arrives at the scene and treats the patient and there is not transportation, what code should the ALS Unit be billing under, i.e. A0998 (ambulance response and treatment, no transport) or S0208?

Thank you. Any insight that you can provide is appreciated!!!!!