Wiki Parenteral infusion

sluke9

Best answers
Does anyone have a list of drugs that would fall under Parenteral infusion that would fall into the high risk category when determining the MDM on EM services?
We are having a discussion as to whether all drugs that are given IVF fall under the parenteral category because they are given IV or whether there are just certain drugs. We are a oncology/hematology practice and the doctors will give iron infusions in the office. Since it is IV & falls under the definition of parenteral therapy do you give high risk for MDM?
Any help is appreciated!!

The table of risk lists 'parenteral controlled substances', which I've always interpreted to mean only those drugs such as narcotics which are listed by the government schedules as controlled. Certainly not all drugs administered IV would qualify as high risk in and of themselves.

However, I think it's important to note in the guidelines for assigning risk to E&M services that it states "The following table may be used to help determine whether the risk of significant complications, morbidity, and/or mortality is minimal, low, moderate, or high. Because the determination of risk is complex and not readily quantifiable, the table includes common clinical examples rather than absolute measures of risk." As such, I've always felt that risk should be assigned primarily based on how the provider documents their assessment of the patient's condition and associated risks and not by the particular name of a drug that happens to be identified in the record, which is not always a definitive indicator but only a guide.

Last edited: