Wiki Parenting Class billable?

BUTCHER129

Contributor
Best answers
I have a CSW that will begin Parenting classes soon. Is this a billable service by a CSW? If so, can you provide guidance on coding.

Most commercial insurance companies are unlikely to cover parenting classes because they are considered educational or self-care/self-help training. There is HCPCS code S9444-Parenting classes, nonphysician provider, per session, which may be covered by some Medicaid programs.

Hi Butcher :)
Ensure the provider MD DO NP or PA is the clinical professional recommends patient to get parenting classes . I d put this on the claim as referring provider. The reason should be medical supported due to data from the provider. The female parent could have illness such as Lactation problem see dx N61 or 092.13 Mastitis. Or have , Postpartum Depression dx F53 or O90.6. Also the newborn till age of 28 days may have eating problems see dx R63, P92, P91, P83, P70, P71 or P61. Add dx codes from Z dx blocks fit the treatment of Z39.1, Z33.1 Z34, Z76.1 and Z76.2. The CPT codes in which can give education look at codes 96156-96198 . Also look at CPT 98960- for face to face 30 minutes with caregiver. Check out CPT 99211 too. Ensure the CSW put the amount of minutes on documentation for the day, must have at least 15 minutes to 30 minutes to bill those CPT codes. Again referred to for counseling self education in describing problem parents or newborns having corresponding with dx codes. Some payers may want treatment plan sent in first or approved for certain amount of time. Always best to check for pre approval. Oh yes modifier of AJ or AH maybe needed regarding CSW clinician doing counseling for parent on claim next to CPT code selected.
I hope helped you somewhat in this dilemma.
Lady T:)

Last edited: