Wiki Patellar Fracture w/o fixation or patellectomy

CJames72

Contributor
Best answers
My physician treated an open patellar fracture with irrigation and debridement and open treatment. However once he completed I&D and thorough examination of the fx he felt the patella did not need fixation. I am debating whether or not to bill 27524 for ORIF of patella fx since it does not state w/ or w/o internal fixation. Would it be appropriate to bill this CPT with a modifier 52 for reduced services?

Thanks for any input.

My physician treated an open patellar fracture with irrigation and debridement and open treatment. However once he completed I&D and thorough examination of the fx he felt the patella did not need fixation. I am debating whether or not to bill 27524 for ORIF of patella fx since it does not state w/ or w/o internal fixation. Would it be appropriate to bill this CPT with a modifier 52 for reduced services?

Thanks for any input.

Well if all your physician did is I & D why would you want to code 27524? And code description state w internal fixation.

27524 Open treatment of patellar fracture, with internal fixation and/or partial or complete patellectomy and soft tissue repair