Wiki Pathology Specimens (Tissue Samples) in ASC

ckkohler

Guru
Best answers
Hello!
Can anyone direct me to documentation regarding surgeries performed in an ASC setting where a tissue sample is sent to the independent lab for processing...? As to whether the tissue sample IS or IS NOT considered part of the ASC facility charge? I'm getting told where I work that the sample is considered part of the facility fee and therefore not separately billable. I'd like to know for sure as I believe this is not correct.

Thanks!

Besides actually obtaining the tissue sample, does your facility do anything else with it? Also, under what circumstances is the tissue taken; before/during/after surgery?

Yes - these would be samples of tissue removed during a surgical procedure performed in our ASC...hydrocele, bladder tumor, foreskin, etc. I found on the CMS website that "labs" done in an ASC setting that are not considered routine prior to surgery (i.e. UA's, pregnancy tests, CBC's, etc) - can be billed separately. Is that your understanding? Thanks for any input!

I'm still trying to figure this out as I'm also finding conflicting information. Can you give me an example of codes you might bill out?