Wiki Patient Payments / Billing

BethUnkel

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I recently took over the billing in our office... I have had several patients that complained due to receiving bills after appointment for things such as shots, tests, and small procedures. We are trying our best to give the patients a good estimate of what it will cost.. I've heard some offices have "cheat sheets" of what the patient will owe... how does one come up with these? as every insurance company and then the plans under each one are so different??
Please help!

cheat sheet

Our cheat sheets are based on BCBS allowed amounts, they usually pay the highest and so that quote is usually over what the pt has to pay which they would rather do than paying more than what you intially told them, i guess you could have one based on each of the big insurance companies you see but we only use that one as a guesstimate for pt questions and ABN forms, that is just what works best for us though!

our nurse also calls us before she schedules the patients for procedures done in office or at the hospital, including ultrasounds and I&D's and we tell the patient before they have the procedure done for the most part, of course unless they come in wanting something removed or that isnt planned etc.