Wiki Patient Portal

pamelafdavis

Best answers
We will be attesting to MU2 next year and are wondering if there is anyone out there attesting to MU2 THIS year. Are the patients actually using the portal? What type of practice is it? I would say 90% of our patients are elderly, we are an Ophthalmology practice. When attesting do they just ask for the numbers- how many people logged in or what? Is anyone having problems with this?

We are in the same boat in terms of demographics but we are in derm. We are signing them in the office and pretty much not giving them a choice if they have an email address. It's unfortunate and I truly dislike this measure.

Patients are using it, but not enough. We will fail our first attempt for MU2 due to this measure.

Your EHR should provide you a way to keep track of patients who are using it and who get signed up. It will give you the final numbers which you will use to attest.

More than 50% of all unique patients (or their representatives) seen by the EP are provided electronic access to their health information.
More than 5% of all unique patients (or their representatives) view, download, and/or transmit their health information to a third party.

Only 5% of all unique patients (or their representatives) for a 90 day period.
Not 5% of your total patient population, only 5% of the patient total for 90 days. Your 90 days reporting period.

Hi,

One thing that we tried with our patients is sending them preventative medicine reminders, and our physicians are constantly pushing the patient portal; "check the portal for your results." We also have flyers at our front desk with FAQ, and modified our new patient packet to include information about the portal and how easy it is to request a referral or a prescription refill. I will say that for those patients that are not computer savvy, is very difficult for them to even log on. For them it's just so much easier and personable for them to speak with a live person.

Gaudy

I prefer humans over tech. And I'm a young kid, well 38. Anyway, I'm pretty much offline when it comes to health information, banking, and paying bills. Yeah, I'm a luddite. I don't even own a cellphone. As for my parents they are worse than me. They GO to the clinic rather than using the phone to renew Rxs. And they eschew the Internet at all costs. They rarely use email. So a portal is out of the question in my family. Just my 2 cents.