Wiki PCA pumps for pain

jburchfield

Best answers
Hello -

The group I work for has opened an outpatient office for palliative care. We provide office visits, behavioral health, social work services and chaplain services on our main physician floor under POS 11. We just opened our 2nd floor for symptom management.

2nd floor is going to be outpatient symptom management. We have a nursing staff that rounds the floor and 7 rooms for patients. We intend on providing pain management, hydration and other symptom management related to chronic disease. The goal would be to reduce ER admissions for management we can perform outpatient.

We will be administering PCA pumps for hydromorphone and fentanyl citrate. My question is this, how do I bill this? I am finding so many things related to anethesia but not related to pain management that does not follow a surgery. Is the drug and initial insert billable?

I am looking at 36563 for insertion of intravenous device and then bill the drug used over their stay with us? We are in Ohio under CGS mac.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks
Jes

36563 is for insertion of a central line. Are they actually going to be inserting a central line? Or just a regular IV?

I'm always astounded when groups decide they're going to do something without checking to see what the guidelines are and how to bill it (which would indicate reimbursement and whether it made any financial sense).