Wiki PCS-10 I & D procedure

Ashwanikumar

Best answers
Patient presents with neck abscess and underwent I & D of neck region. Depth of incision like skin, subcutaneous tissue, muscle or bone is not documented.
What PCS-10 code will be appropriate?
-I & D of skin of neck region, external approach
-Drainage of neck, open approach

There is also one guideline for PCS-10 B2.1a (The procedure codes in general anatomical regions body systems should only be used when the procedure is performed on an anatomical region (e.g., root operations Control, Detachment, Drainage of a body cavity) rather than a specific body part.
Is this guideline applicable in this scenario?

Last edited:
It's unclear if the appropriate code should be linked to the skin of the neck, or the anatomical region of neck (would need documentation of depth). Also, to code appropriately, you'd need to report any drainage device used and whether or not this was diagnostic/therapeutic to code out any qualifiers. (I'm assuming therapeutic, but one can't assume in coding). The guidelines you stated below would apply--but you need clarification as to whether this a skin I&D or a cavity I&D. Look at the OH9 and OW9 sections of PCS.

Your encoder should walk you through this.

It's unclear if the appropriate code should be linked to the skin of the neck, or the anatomical region of neck (would need documentation of depth). Also, to code appropriately, you'd need to report any drainage device used and whether or not this was diagnostic/therapeutic to code out any qualifiers. (I'm assuming therapeutic, but one can't assume in coding). The guidelines you stated below would apply--but you need clarification as to whether this a skin I&D or a cavity I&D. Look at the OH9 and OW9 sections of PCS.

Your encoder should walk you through this.

Thank you so much Pam. The info you provided is very helpful.

Bala Srinivas Tati

Patient presents with neck abscess and underwent I & D of neck region. Depth of incision like skin, subcutaneous tissue, muscle or bone is not documented.
What PCS-10 code will be appropriate?
-I & D of skin of neck region, external approach
-Drainage of neck, open approach

There is also one guideline for PCS-10 B2.1a (The procedure codes in general anatomical regions body systems should only be used when the procedure is performed on an anatomical region (e.g., root operations Control, Detachment, Drainage of a body cavity) rather than a specific body part.
Is this guideline applicable in this scenario?

Drainge of neck skin external approach would be correct code as per the documentation