Wiki PEG Tube Check

drobinson1

Networker
Best answers
Our radiologist is doing a PEG tube check with a contrast injection and I wanted to use code 49465 but my manager said it includes fluoro and we can not use it since they were not using fluro for guidance. I checked CCI edits and fluoro is not included so I don't agree and I think that code 49465 would be used if they use fluoro or not. This is the procedure process:

Approximately 20 cc of gastrograffin utilized. Catheter tip syringe fits most PEG tubes. For some tubes, may need Christmas tree adapter. X ray technologist does injection. After injection obtain x-rays.

Views: AP supine centered over stomach/peg tube and cross table lateral to include anterior abdominal wall (again centered over peg tube site).

Can someone please help?

Peg tube check

Hi,

CPT Description for CPT code 49465 is "Contrast injection for Radiological Evaluation of gastrostomy,duodenostomy, Jejenostomy, gastro-jejenostomy, cecostomy(or other colonic) tube,from a percutaneous approach including image documentation and report".

The CPT Description Nowhere says about fluoroscopy. It says Image documentaqtion and reporting. which means obtaining Permenant films(X-rays) after the injection of contrast.You can code 49465 according to the report you specified above.

Happycoder.