Wiki pending doom with electronic medical records?

bsuse

Contributor
Best answers
our hospital owns several outlying practices, and these visits are entered into our electronic record by the docs and they pick their codes. the coders oversee all these visits before they go to billing. our hospital now wants to bypass the coders on all these records and send them directly to billing with no coder review. how do i convince them this is not a good idea????

Introduce them to the local RAC in your area!!! Are they crazy? Do they understand that RAC's have started auditing again and can request records every 45 days? Maybe that will scare them.

Good luck!!

Find errors.

If you're a skilled coder, it shouldn't take long for you to uncover data on the percentages of overcoded, undercoded and incorrectly coded services being sent out by the providers.

I'd keep a running list, maybe even talk dollar amounts. It'll be interesting to see how they react when you have numbers, data and dollar figures . . . I'd also contact AAPC directly for additional recommendations. It's incumbent upon our professional associations to keep our jobs viable. I'm sure they should have recommendations to provide as well.

Good luck.