Wiki Penoscrotal Decompression

Best answers
I’ve been trying to find a CPT code for a penoscrotal decompression for priaprism, however I haven’t been able to find anything. So far I’ve read that it’s a new procedure for Priapism. The priapism procedure codes I’ve looked at involve shunt. . What would be an appropriate CPT for this procedure?

The patient was brought into the operating room, placed in a supine position on the operating room table. After administration of IV antibiotics and anesthesia, the patient was repositioned and kept in the supine position, shaved and prepped in the usual sterile fashion. A penoscrotal incision was made. A 16 French Foley catheter was placed. It was carried down through The dartos fascia to the right lateral corpora. The dartos was dissected from the underlying tonic and then a 2-0 Vicryl sutures were placed as stay sutures and a small incision made in the tunica. We then were able to clot evacuate the blood from the penis via compression through the coporotomy. We irrigated with injectable saline. Once we were confident the penis her greatly detumesced, We close the corporotomy with 2-0 running suture. The dartos were close in 2 layers with a 2-0 vicryl suture after irrigating copiously and finally the skin was closed using 2-0 chromic in interrupted fashion. The patient tolerated the procedure well.

As you indicated this is a new procedure for the treatment of priapism, and at this time there is no CPT procedure for this surgery. I would suggest using the unlisted code, 55899 and bench mark to 54430.