Wiki Percutaneous Balloon Microcompression

nkrush12

Networker
Best answers
Hi everyone. Could really use some help with the CPT code for this procedure. Right now I am thinking of 64999.

Please give a little more detail. Are you talking about Vertebroplasty or Kyphoplasty (spinal procedures)?

LaSeille Willard, CPC

balloon microcompression

Sorry for the not getting more detail..

It is not a kyphoplasty or vertebroplasty.

My doctor states that he will be preforming a percutaneous balloon microcompression on the patient's fifth cranial nerve to treat trigeminal neuralgia. From what I understand, he will be inserting a catheter and then a balloon is inflated with contract material to destroy the nerve.

At first I was going to use CPT code 64600 but that is injecting the NERVE with a neurolytic agent. Our doctor will be inflating the balloon and basically crushing the nerve.

Last edited:
I'm just not finding much information on this procedure. I also come up with 64999 but am not totally convinced that this is correct. From what I'm reading about PTBC (Percutaneous Trigimal Balloon Compression), the balloon is inserted via a needle/catheter and then expanded multiple times crushing the nerve. Do you know the manufacturer of the balloon device?

Julie, CPC