Wiki Percutaneous Balloon Pericardiotomy CPT code

msedivy

New
Best answers
Does anyone know the correct CPT code for a PBP? I'm thinking CPT code 33025. The request is for CPT code 33031. The 'red' text below is the work that is being suggested for CPT code 33031. I think CPT code 33025 is the most correct code. If anyone has an insight to this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Operative Report
DATE OF SERVICE:
05/24/2022
INDICATIONS:
The patient with moderate pericardial effusion with shortness of breath, brought in for diagnostic
and therapeutic pericardiocentesis.

PROCEDURE PERFORMED:
Pericardiocentesis.

TECHNIQUE:
Under ultrasound and fluoroscopic guidance, the pericardial space was entered and injection was
performed with ____ bubble study. Injection was performed which revealed that excess is in RV.
Needle was withdrawn into the pericardium space and repeat bubble study confirmed pericardial
presence. Simultaneously, there was evidence of significant thrombotic conversion of pericardial
effusion, which appears to be causing significant hypotension. As a result, pericardial drain was
placed in the pericardial space and under ultrasound guidance, pericardial drainage was attempted
with continued evidence of active pericardial drainage and hypertension. The patient was started on
pressor support. Multiple IVs were placed in both groins and aggressive fluid hydration pressure
support was started and cardiothoracic surgery was called for possible RV injury evaluation. In the
meantime, as the patient continued to be hypertensive for a prolonged period of time, as a result,
we decided to perform balloon pericardiotomy to see if that will cause drainage of this thrombotic
material and thus releasing right atrial ventricular pressure. The pericardial drain was exchanged
over the wire and 4.0 balloon was passed and at the pericardial junction, it was inflated with a
waist to cause around the pericardium so that they could be some drainage from effusion.
There was
some improvement in the patient's hemodynamics and at the end of the procedure, surgical team was at
bedside and the patient was transferred to surgical suite for further intervention on wide open
pressor support and aggressive hydration. In summary, pericardiocentesis with concomitant RV injury
and thrombotic cardioversion pericardial effusion, going to emergent thoracotomy.

Does anyone know the correct CPT code for a PBP? I'm thinking CPT code 33025. The request is for CPT code 33031. The 'red' text below is the work that is being suggested for CPT code 33031. I think CPT code 33025 is the most correct code. If anyone has an insight to this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Operative Report
DATE OF SERVICE:
05/24/2022
INDICATIONS:
The patient with moderate pericardial effusion with shortness of breath, brought in for diagnostic
and therapeutic pericardiocentesis.

PROCEDURE PERFORMED:
Pericardiocentesis.

TECHNIQUE:
Under ultrasound and fluoroscopic guidance, the pericardial space was entered and injection was
performed with ____ bubble study. Injection was performed which revealed that excess is in RV.
Needle was withdrawn into the pericardium space and repeat bubble study confirmed pericardial
presence. Simultaneously, there was evidence of significant thrombotic conversion of pericardial
effusion, which appears to be causing significant hypotension. As a result, pericardial drain was
placed in the pericardial space and under ultrasound guidance, pericardial drainage was attempted
with continued evidence of active pericardial drainage and hypertension. The patient was started on
pressor support. Multiple IVs were placed in both groins and aggressive fluid hydration pressure
support was started and cardiothoracic surgery was called for possible RV injury evaluation. In the
meantime, as the patient continued to be hypertensive for a prolonged period of time, as a result,
we decided to perform balloon pericardiotomy to see if that will cause drainage of this thrombotic
material and thus releasing right atrial ventricular pressure. The pericardial drain was exchanged
over the wire and 4.0 balloon was passed and at the pericardial junction, it was inflated with a
waist to cause around the pericardium so that they could be some drainage from effusion.
There was
some improvement in the patient's hemodynamics and at the end of the procedure, surgical team was at
bedside and the patient was transferred to surgical suite for further intervention on wide open
pressor support and aggressive hydration. In summary, pericardiocentesis with concomitant RV injury
and thrombotic cardioversion pericardial effusion, going to emergent thoracotomy.
Have you looked at 33020?