Wiki Percutaneous pinning olecranon?

fltbaroque

Guru
Best answers
Please help with this coding scenario:
Patient has fracture of "proximal radius fracture which is just distal to the growth plate" with a proximal olecranon fracture. Procedure is ORIF of right proximal radius fracture with closed reduction, percutaneous pinning of olecranon fracture. Would you use 24665 for the radial fracture and 24999, unlisted for the olecranon?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Tobi C.

Having reviewed the various codes for treatment of the injuries and procedures as you describe them, I believe you are correct in your choices. There is none that addresses percutaneous pinning of the Olecranon fracture. I would pair the 24999 with 24566: Percutaneous skeletal fixation of humeral epicondylar fracture, with manipulation. I would assume that the Olecranon fracture had to be manipulated into the reduced position in order to proceed with the pinning.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com

Having reviewed the various codes for treatment of the injuries and procedures as you describe them, I believe you are correct in your choices. There is none that addresses percutaneous pinning of the Olecranon fracture. I would pair the 24999 with 24566: Percutaneous skeletal fixation of humeral epicondylar fracture, with manipulation. I would assume that the Olecranon fracture had to be manipulated into the reduced position in order to proceed with the pinning.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com

Thank you!