Wiki Periacetabular osteotomy CPT code

SydneyO

Networker
Best answers
Hi everyone! I'm new to billing for periacetabular osteotomies (PAOs) and I'm trying to find the correct CPT code...
According to the op report, the surgeon osteotomized the iliac spine, ischium, suprapubic ramus, and pelvis. The Dx is hip arthritis resulting from dysplasia.

Apparently my facility is used to billing unlisted procedure code 27299 with comparison code 27228 (for "Open treatment of acetabular fracture"). However, I thought 27146 looked more appropriate, for "Osteotomy, iliac, acetabular or innominate bone." I've read a couple old forum posts regarding this, and it is recommended to bill 27146 with multiple units for each bone osteotomized, but it has an MUE of 1 and it seems we can't get reimbursed for more than 1 unit.

Am I correct about 27146 being the correct code here? If so then my only problem is that since we can only bill 1 unit, my administrator is upset because the reimbursement is much less than if we stuck with doing the unlisted procedure code with comparison code 27228...

Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance!! :)