Wiki Personal hx Ca in situ skin

lorenc00

Best answers
Hello. Does anyone know what ICD-9 code to use for "Personal history of carcinoma in situ of skin"? Ca in situ of skin is in code range 232.X, which falls under "malignancy" in the ICD-9 neoplasm table; however, V10.83 (personal history of malignant neoplasm of skin) can only be used for conditions classifiable to 170-173, 190-195. I feel like I'm in a Coding Conventions Catch 22 :confused: I don't want to give a patient a personal history of malignant skin cancer if it is not correct to do so. Thanks for any suggestions!

How about V13.89 personal history of other specified disease with the M code of M09450 no evidence of malignancy

Hello. Does anyone know what ICD-9 code to use for "Personal history of carcinoma in situ of skin"? Ca in situ of skin is in code range 232.X, which falls under "malignancy" in the ICD-9 neoplasm table; however, V10.83 (personal history of malignant neoplasm of skin) can only be used for conditions classifiable to 170-173, 190-195. I feel like I'm in a Coding Conventions Catch 22 :confused: I don't want to give a patient a personal history of malignant skin cancer if it is not correct to do so. Thanks for any suggestions!

V13.89 - see Coding Clinic 1Q 2012.

Thanks for your replies. Good advice! Coding Clinic refers specifically to ca breast in situ so I wasn't paying full attention to it; but after reading it closely I don't see why the same rule can't be applied to skin in situ. Thanks again!