Wiki PHI INFO REQUESTED FROM EMPLOYER THIRD PARTY REP

jbc616

New
Best answers
I'm employed by a group of contracted physicians who provide ancillary services to a group of area hospitals. We recently received a notice from HR that anyone enrolled in the offered health insurance would be receiving a questionnaire from a third party. This questionnaire is required to be completed if we are currently enrolled or plan to enroll. We've been told by HR the information is completely confidential and will be used to provide a quote for health insurance premiums.
They are requesting what we are currently being treated for, medications being taken, and what have we been diagnosed with in our history.
I am somewhat hesitant to complete since I do have preexisting conditions. I know my medical issues can't prevent me from being included in the group plan so, I'm not sure why they require this.
Many years ago, I was denied insurance due to a preexisting condition and I'm extremely hesitant to provide my and my family's information to anyone!
I am looking to see what you think of this situation.
Would you complete the survey?
Thanks!!!

I had to complete a questionnaire such as this when I was employed with a small practice a number of years ago. I believe it's a pretty common thing for smaller employers because the insurance companies need the information in order to correctly calculate premiums that will be charged to your employer. The third party is prohibited by law from sharing any of this information with your employer, and as you've said, your conditions will not prevent you from obtaining insurance. I don't think you will have any choice in whether or not to complete the questionnaire as it's usually a condition for enrollment in the employer's plan.