Wiki Phone Visit? Out Of State, 90806? Please Help!

CMBA4

Contributor
Best answers
Quick Question: Please help

I have a provider that is a licensed clinical social worker in New Jersey. One of the patients moved to another state I believe either Virginia or Vermont I am unsure. The provider wants to continue seeing the patient over the phone. Are there any rules against billing Medicare when the patient is out of state? Can the provider still bill Medicare with her regular 90806 code and continue seeing the patient over the phone? Or is there a different code she should be using for this? Also does this require a new POS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

CMBA

Last edited:
Quick Question: Please help

I have a provider that is a licensed clinical social worker in New Jersey. One of the patients moved to another state I believe either Virginia or Vermont I am unsure. The provider wants to continue seeing the patient over the phone. Are there any rules against billing Medicare when the patient is out of state? Can the provider still bill Medicare with her regular 90806 code and continue seeing the patient over the phone? Or is there a different code she should be using for this? Also does this require a new POS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

CMBA
Medicare only covers face-to-face services. Telehealth has been approved as face-to-face care. Telepone calls are not approved per our review of guidelines. Our providers are investigating Skype as a mode of delivering care. They are finding that they will need a license to provide care in the patient's home state.

I would advise that you seek legal advice in your area.

Skype as a Face to Face visit?

Charlene, have your providers found out anything about using Skype for counseling visits remotely?

Thanks,
Karen Hill, CPC, CPMA
Anchorage, AK

Charlene, have your providers found out anything about using Skype for counseling visits remotely?

Thanks,
Karen Hill, CPC, CPMA
Anchorage, AK
Nothing but Crickets over here. A couple providers seemed interested until they considered getting a license in another state. Get back to me in a couple months. Maybe the topic may come up again. I know I will be preoccupied trying to get acclimated to the new codes starting next month.