Wiki Physcian coding or Coder coding?

lverellen

Contributor
Best answers
For all of you involved in cardiology practice management- I am building a pro fee cardiology coding team. In order to justify the need for a coder I am tasked with trying to find industry standards on who is responsible for the coding inpatient, outpatient, interventions, etc for cardiologists. I am an advocate of having coders in this role, however many of the physicians at the medical center do their own coding, and administration really wants to know if this is standard practice. If anyone wants to chime in with answers to the following: Who is responsible for coding, physician or coder? If coder what are the credentials? And do you use an EMR? Anyone know of any resources online that will help with this research?
Thanks so much for your input!

For all of you involved in cardiology practice management- I am building a pro fee cardiology coding team. In order to justify the need for a coder I am tasked with trying to find industry standards on who is responsible for the coding inpatient, outpatient, interventions, etc for cardiologists. I am an advocate of having coders in this role, however many of the physicians at the medical center do their own coding, and administration really wants to know if this is standard practice. If anyone wants to chime in with answers to the following: Who is responsible for coding, physician or coder? If coder what are the credentials? And do you use an EMR? Anyone know of any resources online that will help with this research?
Thanks so much for your input!

Encourage them to do an audit - either internal or external, with a detailed review of their diagnosis and procedure coding, and error rates. Once they see the potential for additional revenue that comes with a certified coder (or the risk of potential consequences from not having one), your case should be much easier to make. There are no rules on who has to code, but the physicians are each responsible for the information that is coded, either way. You've got to convince them that it's a worth investment. Good luck! ;)

Thanks Brandi. Funny thing is that one of the physicians I am sure we need to do coding for has been reveiwed and talked to about his documentation several times. Not sure how else I can make the powers that be understand that a coder is the best option. I need to put together a comprehensive "pleading" regarding this.

Thanks Brandi. Funny thing is that one of the physicians I am sure we need to do coding for has been reveiwed and talked to about his documentation several times. Not sure how else I can make the powers that be understand that a coder is the best option. I need to put together a comprehensive "pleading" regarding this.

This is from an artice from the ACC...

"Coding is the key cognitive component of physicians' revenue cycle,” says Neal Green, co-founder and executive vice president of TCN. “Coding accuracy will optimize the practice's revenues and simultaneously minimize compliance exposure which is of primary importance in this environment of both increased RAC and third party payer audit exposure."
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/drew/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/F5WSYUWM/F10301%20Practice%20Administrator%20Newsletter%20%20SeptOct%5B1%5D.html

Do some online research of the benefits of having a certified coder - you'll find a lot to back you up. Hope that helps!