Wiki Physiatry E/M coding

bnockis

Contributor
Best answers
Hello!

Can anyone tell me the components that may make up the bullets for a Physiatry (and while we are at it.... Derm, Psychiatry, Neuro, Podiatry.... also) exam for an E/M code for an office visit? Obviously, it is not necessarily the same as a Primary Care visit, as it is a more focused specialty. I am finding it difficult to read 12+ points for a 99203. Is there anything different with specialty coding? I generally do Primary Care but occasionally have others I review.

Thanks so much!

Lindsay B
CPC-A

You can find all of the specialty exam bullet points in the CMS 1997 E&M guidelines here: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Ed...N/MLNEdWebGuide/Downloads/97Docguidelines.pdf

There isn't a specific exam for Physiatry or Podiatry, but you can use any that may be appropriate to the work that is done. For some specialties, it may be to the provider's advantage to use 1995 guidelines instead and classify the exams by organ systems or body areas rather than of bullet points - according to CMS, providers may use either 1995 or 1997.