Wiki Physical code

martyzal

Best answers
How would you code a well visit physical with an EKG? and what diagnosis would you use?

Are EKG's normally part of your physicals? Or did the physican find something that is why he is asking for the EKG, if thats the case the diagnosis for the EKG would be that symptom or diagnosis. Otherwise I agree I would use v70.* however I'm not sure if that is enough to support this service looking at it from the insurance end.

You'd just use whatever well physical code pertains to the visit. No modifier should be needed to get the visit to pay separately from 93000. The diagnosis code depends on the reason for the EKG, as mentioned in a reply above, but just a warning - expect some difficulty getting 93000 paid with a routine diagnosis, because some payors only cover it when there's obvious medical necessity. (If you have the documentation to back it up, though, denials can be fought.) If it's something that you guys do routinely w/well visits, make sure to check patient benefits to see what their insurance covers, so they can opt out of it or sign a waiver if needed.