Wiki Physical Status Modifiers and DX

ywilliamsCPC

Networker
Best answers
When a patient is a P3 or P4, I always add additional diagnoses that supports it since we get additional units for those modifiers with some payers; however with P2 (mild systemic disease) I don't since we do not get any extra payment for that modifier. Should I code the supporting dx code for P2?

I always wonder, when is it appropriate to add comorbidities and how many should be added?

When a patient is a P3 or P4, I always add additional diagnoses that supports it since we get additional units for those modifiers with some payers; however with P2 (mild systemic disease) I don't since we do not get any extra payment for that modifier. Should I code the supporting dx code for P2?

I always wonder, when is it appropriate to add comorbidities and how many should be added?

When the PS is 1 or 2, I've always been told that additional codes for the comorbidites are not needed, especially since there is no additional units or payment for these. Depending on how many primary procedure diagnoses you have including the pain code for Post Op nerve blocks, there are only 4 DX's spaces on claim forms. Even with new EMR programs you can add more in the system, but usually only 4 dx's go out on the claims.

I hope this helps.